Ardent Warrior...Passionate Bard...Jealous Queen

Part 4

by ArdentTly

E-Mail: ardenttly@yahoo.com

 

Disclaimer: This story was written without the knowledge or consent of MCA/Universal and is not intended to infringe on any copyrights. This story is for intended for mature readers over the age of 18, as it contains both violence and explicit love scenes between two women. If you are offended by either, or both, of these subjects, I suggest you don't read any further.

This story is the work of the author and is protected by copyright. Please gain permission before copying and/or publishing any or all of this story.

 

Chapter 4

 

Ephiny lay in her bed. Alone as usual. She sighed and thought of Phantes. He had truly been the love of her life. Even though they'd been joined for such a brief time, she felt blessed. Little Xenon reminded the regent so much of his father. The boy had his father's hazel eyes and his mother's blonde curls. Images of Kestra entered her mind. She needed to help the woman, but so far, her efforts had been rejected. She decided to talk to Gabrielle again and see if, between the two of them, they could find a solution. She washed and dressed quickly, now eager to begin the day.

As she entered the dining hut, Ephiny spied Xena and Gabrielle against the back wall. They were busy, deep in conversation. At least, Gabrielle was doing all the talking while Xena nodded or grunted one-syllable answers. Typical warrior.

What was it about those two?, pondered the regent. They were so different. She suddenly remembered the bard's blush of yesterday. The two women looked oblivious to their surroundings, having eyes only for each other. Ephiny wondered if she'd ever seen Xena so relaxed. I wonder what happened between those two? Could they have finally...Nah. Not the stolid and unemotional Warrior Princess. She dismissed the whole idea and walked toward their table. Both women looked up and bade her to join them.

"So, Ephiny. What's new in the tumultuous world of the Amazon Nation?" asked Xena. She popped another piece of cheese into her mouth and smiled at the regent.

"Oh, you know: same old, same old," the woman replied. "The treaties are holding with our neighbours. Things have been quiet, except for the trouble we had nearly two moons ago." She dropped her voice and told them she'd discuss it further in her chambers later.

Kestra walked in, and Gabrielle noticed the regent's expression soften as she watched the woman's every move. Hmmm, she thought to herself. Now, there's a challenge! Maybe she could help both women--two birds with one stone, so to speak. She made a mental note to discuss it with Xena later.

"Good morning, Kestra," began the regent. "Come sit with us. You know Xena and Gabrielle. You met them a couple of...ah, a while...ago," she stammered. She mentally slapped herself, realizing what she had almost said. Why are you babbling like an idiot? Get a grip, Amazon!

Kestra looked uncomfortable but nodded. She sat on the edge of the bench, making herself look as demure as possible. Both Gabrielle and Ephiny tried to make the woman relax. No one was surprised when all they got were weak smiles and slight nods. Soon, the table fell silent, an awkward silence hanging over them all.

Xena decided to break the ice and asked the regent if she could take Kestra out to the practice field. The warrior knew Eponin would be waiting there. Maybe she could engage the two in some friendly combat. Maybe that would bring Kestra out of her shell. It was worth a try. Besides, thought the warrior, maybe if the two could be convinced to attack her, she'd get the workout she needed. That way, maybe Eponin wouldn't feel too badly when her ass was kicked.

Eponin was a good warrior. Very skilled, but also very stubborn. She wouldn't give in until she sustained an injury. Like it was a badge of honour.

Xena hated it when she was forced to do that. Enemies were fair game but...well, Xena was starting to like Eponin and some of the other Amazons. They had earned her grudging respect, and while Xena liked to win, she didn't always like to pay the price for doing so.

Lately, Xena had found herself warming to these fierce Amazons. Some of their petty grievances made Xena roll her eyes in frustration. It seemed a rarity when one or more catfights didn't break out every week. The warrior supposed it was due to their close, hivelike community. That and cycling together. Boy, that had to be rough! All those raging hormones combined with hair-trigger tempers! Don't go there, she admonished herself.

Kestra took a quick glance at the warrior as a low chuckle rumbled from Xena's throat. "Come on, Kestra. Let's work up a sweat, shall we?" As the two women left, both Gabrielle and Ephiny cast arched eyebrows their way. As they looked at each other, they fell into a fit of the giggles.

 

 

To Part 5

 

Back to Fanfic page

 

To Links page