Ardent Warrior...Passionate Bard...Jealous Queen

Part 2

by ArdentTly

E-Mail: ardenttly@yahoo.com

 

Disclaimer: This story was written without the knowledge or consent of MCA/Universal and is not intended to infringe on any copyrights. This story is for intended for mature readers over the age of 18, as it contains both violence and explicit love scenes between two women. If you are offended by either, or both, of these subjects, I suggest you don't read any further.

This story is the work of the author and is protected by copyright. Please gain permission before copying and/or publishing any or all of this story.

 

Chapter 2

 

Gabrielle awoke some candlemarks later. Her senses took in the soft feel of skin under her cheek, the musty aroma of leather and bronze, the fact that her fingers were intertwined with those of her love, the most delicious smell that was undeniably Xena. She placed a wet kiss on the shoulder before her and murmured "Hi" to her lover. Xena hugged her tightly in response.

"Come on, sleepyhead. We're here," whispered Xena, affectionately rubbing the back of her lover's hand. She reined Argo in to a stop. "There are six Amazons in the trees up ahead and...yes, two in the thicket we just passed by." She vaulted gracefully from the saddle and landed on her feet in one fluid motion. She then gently but firmly grasped the bard's waist and helped her down.

The women shared a brief hug and then held both hands above their heads in supplication. The signal was accepted, and the Amazons rushed forward. Masks were lifted and greetings exchanged. Eponin bowed to Gabrielle, as befitting an Amazon Princess, and then exchanged a warrior's greeting with Xena.

A short battle of wills ensued. The bard smirked as she took it all in. Warriors!, she thought in a dreamy fashion. Eponin's shoulders were tensed and now covered with a fine sheen of sweat. The woman's jaw clenched fiercely. Xena, however, wore a rather bored expression on her countenance. Gabrielle caught her eye, and Xena sighed. Just when she was having a bit of fun, too!

With an evil grin, she ever-so-slightly increased the pressure in her hand. The muscles in Eponin's neck stood out, and she grimaced. With a gasp, she fell to her knees. "I give...I give, already." Xena helped the dark-haired warrior up and clasped her shoulder. "Gee, Xena. You been workin' out more than usual?"

Gabrielle, thinking of their stay in Thessaly, clapped a hand over her mouth and snorted. Xena arched one eyebrow her way, a tiny grin playing on her lips.

The visitors were led into the village. One of the warriors offered to take Argo to the stable. Xena made brief eye contact with Gabrielle and went along, too. Eponin tried to make idle conversation with the petite blonde but noticed that the woman kept looking back toward Xena.

Gabrielle absent-mindedly nodded during the forced conversation, but it was clear she was rather preoccupied. "Something up?" said Eponin, putting an arm on Gabrielle's shoulder

Giving herself a shake, the bard replied, with a grin, "Nope...everything is perfect."

Soon, they stood in front of Ephiny's hut. The regent had been given updates the closer the pair had come to the Amazon border. "Gabrielle. You look good. Not particularly rested, but good. Tell me, what news?" she asked.

"Well, thanks, I guess. Yeah, I feel pretty good. As for news, well, we had a little trouble with some Persians. Xena took on about 100 of their elite soldiers and really kicked butt...and...oh, yeah...I was hit with a poisoned arrow and nearly died."

Ephiny just looked, both eyebrows high on her forehead. "Oh, just the usual, then?" she commented.

Gabrielle laughed. "Sort of. Let's not go there right now. I'm feeling too good, and it only happened three weeks ago, so it's still pretty hard to think about. I'll tell you later, OK?"

That's when the regent noticed the stiff shoulder. Correctly assuming it was the injury Gabrielle had mentioned, she let it go, and they made small talk as she led the bard to the visitor's hut. Gabrielle took one look at the bed and flopped down into it contentedly.

"Hmmm. Looks like the Amazon Princess has had enough of sleeping on the cold ground for a while. Kestra, get the bucket brigade going for a nice hot bath."

Kestra, an ash-blonde Amazon of medium height, nodded and quickly left on her errand.

"Who's that?" asked the bard, watching the woman leave.

"That's Kestra. Don't you remember the two girls that accompanied you to Artemis' temple a while back? You were attacked by robbers, remember?" prompted the regent.

Gabrielle thought about it. "I do remember two girls who couldn't stop giggling and fooling around. I also remember they were really good fighters, and between the three of us, we kicked some serious butt." A strange look came over the bard's face. "That was Kestra? But...she looks older than me. What happened to her?"

The regent gently took her arm and then started her story. "Well, she and Patra were attacked while on their way to Corinth. There was a group of five, trading on behalf of our nation. Four of the women were killed. Patra was one of them. She and Kestra held the bandits off for quite a while, judging from the bodies found at the scene. When our scouting party finally tracked the group's whereabouts, only Patra and Kestra were alive. Patra was in a bad way. She had been raped and had her stomach ripped open. She died horribly in Kestra's arms. She was still cradling Patra's body and rocking her when we found them. It took two warriors to separate them. Kestra stopped talking then and hasn't uttered one word since."

Ephiny sat on the edge of the bed as she finished the story. "We still don't know who did it. Kestra refuses to even listen to our village healer. It's been two moons now, and I know she's not sleeping well. Solari says others have heard her cry out in the throes of a nightmare. She is a good Amazon. She wants to train with Eponin, but I haven't let her...yet. I feel so helpless! I'd love to get my hands on those pigs!"

Gabrielle moved to the woman and hugged her close. "Could I help in some way?" she asked. "Maybe I could..."

The discussion was interrupted as five Amazons entered with pails of steamy hot water. Ephiny rose slowly to her feet. "We can discuss this later. Now you need a hot bath. I'll get the kitchen to make up a tray. Xena can share your bath, yes?"

The regent had almost missed the red flush that began on Gabrielle's cheeks. She pondered this on the way out. Something was going on, she thought. However, the discussion of Kestra and Patra had put the woman into a funk, and she was just too worried to wonder any further about Gabrielle's blush.

Gabrielle sat thinking about Ephiny's story. Boy, what a horrible thing to happen to poor Kestra, she thought. I'll have to think of something.

Just then Xena entered, carrying their possessions. She'd spent nearly a full candlemark currying her horse. She felt hot and sweaty, and smiled when she spotted the waiting bath. "Come on, Gabrielle. Get your gear off, and let's get wet."

When the bard remained sitting on the bed, Xena approached her with a worried look. "What is it?"

Gabrielle pulled the warrior down beside her and began reciting the sorry tale of Kestra and Patra. She lay in Xena's arms as she finished, and tears rolled freely down her cheeks. Xena kissed them away, and the two women lay lost in each other's arms, the bath forgotten.

 

 

To Part 3

 

Back to Fanfic page

 

To Links page